Secure Families Initiative hosted a panel called Beyond the Feel-Good Photo Op: Military and Veteran Families Speaking Out.
In politics as well as culture, representations of military life can be very two-dimensional. While there’s a focus on the happy homecomings, the dreaded departures and every human grind experience in between are often overlooked.
- Representative Mikie Sherrill (keynote speaker) serves New Jersey’s 11th Congressional district and is a Navy veteran.
- Sue Hoppin is the Founder and President of the National Military Spouse Network and the spouse of a retired Air Force officer
- Stephen Peters is a Marine veteran, the spouse of a recently retired Marine, and the Director of Communications and Marketing for the Modern Military Association of America
- Mallory Sharpe is a program coordinator and active duty Air Force spouse of 5 years
- Sarah Streyder (moderator) is the Founder and Director of the Secure Families Initiative and an active duty Air Force spouse of 5 years
- Erin Anhalt (opening remarks) is a Navy spouse of 21 years, mother of three, and citizen of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma