In only our second year in existence, Secure Families Initiative thrived and continued to grown in 2021. From DC parking lots to Zoom calls with members of Congress, we took action and used our voice on behalf of the military community the entire year. Here’s a look at some of our accomplishments in 2021.
A Look Back at 2021
- Delivered 7 trucks of snacks to National Guard troops deployed to D.C. in January, as well as thank you notes to some of their families back home.
- Got protections for military voters added to the super-important “For the People” Act.
- Hosted our first-ever Civic Engagement Boot Camp for military partners and family members to enhance their advocacy skills.
- Had some fun on our TikTok account.
- Shared national security news for military families on our Biweekly Briefing broadcasts, including interviews with three members of congress: Representative Peter Meijer, Representative Barbara Lee and Senator Rand Paul.
- Consolidated Afghanistan support resources for our community and mobilized help for a number of evacuation cases.
- Commemorated the 20-year anniversary of 9/11 with a video about the hidden costs of war on military families.
- Reminded voters about state election deadlines so our community never misses an election.
- Launched a Secure Families Initiative Patreon with exclusive monthly advocacy training materials.
- Convened a Voter Focus Group to brainstorm how we can fight mis-, dis- and malformation in our community.
- Together with our members, we urged Congress to bring our troops home, demilitarize the police, reform war powers, and repeal outdated authorizations for military force.
Looking Ahead to 2022
2022 is going to be a great year for Secure Families Initiative and our community. First, we are delighted to officially grow our team! Our brand new Organizing Director will begin in January. Her job will be to connect with all of you and expand our influence. We value every member and volunteer and are excited to have someone decimated to supporting that you and your work! At the beginning of the year we will also welcome a new member to our Board of Directors. Stay tuned for announcements and to meet our new team members!
Here are some other big projects we’re looking forward to:
- Organize and rally to support an important mission for National Day of Service,
- Brainstorm and strategize with our Voter Focus Group,
- Partner with a key military service organization to register military youth voters.
And, of course, because it is a federal election year, we will focus on registering and turning out our community of voters.
We’re so happy you’re here and look forward to making positive change for our community in 2022. Join us!